Man in a van wrote:
> @M-DB
>
> I will make the assumption (not a good thing to do:() that you use
> iTunes for your music file playback and mysqueezebox.com for streaming
> from the internet ?
>
> The Metrum  dac
>

> so there is not much benefit to be gained from installing the EDO applet
> on the SBTouch.
>
> Likewise your Mac-mini is restricted to High Sierra, and frankly,
> installing LogitechMediaServer on the Mac-mini is too much of a hassle.
>
> My suggestion is that you purchase a raspberry pi 3b+ or 4b (2g) with
> the official rpi foundation power supply  and a  good quality (see
> Sandisk) micro sd card.
>
> If you buy new, then do so from a seller approved by the Raspberry Pi
> Foundation.
>
> There are daughter boards for the raspberrypi called HATS. Some of these
> have SPDIF (co-ax and Toslink) outputs.
>
> Raspberry pi and HATS are sometimes available second-hand from furum
> members upgrading.
>
> Install LMS on the raspberry pi using the piCorePlayer OS and also
> utilise the raspberry pi as the player (with attached HAT) and plug the
> preferred output into the Metrum dac.
>
> Connect the rasperry pi to the network via Ethernet
>
> Use the SBTouch to control the player output from the raspberry pi (with
> your Mac-mini running) you will be able to access the iTunes music
> files.
>
> This will not provide any great change in sound quality but will enhance
> your user experience and prove a relatively low cost introduction to
> "digital options"
>
> There is a learning curve :):), but plenty of support is availble from
> the members here
>
> Please let us know your approximate location, there may be someone close
> who can offer a trial unit or invite you to a demo.
>
> Don't rush; have a think about how you want to proceed and do some
> research :p.
>
> atb
>
> ronnie

+1

@M-dB, what Ronnie is suggesting sounds daunting at first, but is quite
easy and inexpensive. If you decide to go this route there are alot of
"get started" threads which address "how to's" for the new to the game.
Also, "official" picoreplayer instructions.

There are alot of benefits to what he is suggesting, ease, stability,
24/7 operation, low power consumption, and a very large user
base/support. I ditched running LMS on a Windows machine years ago.

Ronnie, I am curious though, why would you not suggest just using the
picore as a LMS server, and the touch as a player? Is there something I
am missing (said the guy who uses a touch as a player)?

Also, I am wondering what the thought is for music library storage, a
network location, or local drive?

@M-db, you say that you "don't know what LMS is..." It is a music
"server" the source that provides (to a player) either your own music
library (downloads, ripped albums/cd's), internet radio stations, and/or
music services (spotify, tidal, etc). You interface/control your
"player" (touch, or as Ronnie suggested a rpi with a hat) to access LMS,
and stream the requested media (music, track info, etc).

Further, there are just "controllers" (phone/pad apps, URL's, etc) which
are your user interface. One of many many nice things about squeezebox
devices (like your touch) is they are both players and controllers, and,
can control other players. That is what Ronnie was suggesting to control
the pi with hat. The pi with hat on it's own does not have a user
interface to act as a controller (but one could be added, or use a
phone/pad/desktop)

Jim