Hey Ryan,

I'll add the information to the wiki in a bit.

And to answer your question about WSGIPythonOptimize 1  - nope, I already 
tested it and it doesn't work either. The only value that works is 0.

I feel I ought to file an issue to track this. That way someone can look 
into it and determine that it's not a bug and desired behavior - If it is 
not desired behavior, then it gets fixed, if so, then we have an entry in 
the system indicating that it's expected behavior. Your thoughts?


Thanks,
-Vijay

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 3:54:31 AM UTC+5:30, RjOllos wrote:
>
>
>
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Vijay Varadan <[email protected] 
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Hey Ryan,
>>
>>  
>>
>> Nailed it! :-D
>>
>>  
>>
>> The issue was with the wsgi.conf file in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled – * 
>> WSGIPythonOptimize 
>> 2 * was set on the server that rendered pages without headers / footers, 
>> but was * WSGIPythonOptimize 0 * on the 2 servers (including the new 
>> built-from-scratch virtual machine) where Genshi was working.
>>
>>  
>>
>> It looks like the Trac / Genshi has an issue with optimizations turned 
>> on. The comment for this setting indicates that this might be the case:
>>
>>  
>>
>>     #WSGIPythonOptimize: Enables basic Python optimisation features.
>>
>>     #
>>
>>     #Sets the level of Python compiler optimisations. The default is '0'
>>
>>     #which means no optimisations are applied.
>>
>>     #Setting the optimisation level to '1' or above will have the effect
>>
>>     #of enabling basic Python optimisations and changes the filename
>>
>>     #extension for compiled (bytecode) files from .pyc to .pyo.
>>
>>     #When the optimisation level is set to '2', doc strings will not be
>>
>>     #generated and retained. This will result in a smaller memory 
>> footprint,
>>
>>     #but may cause some Python packages which interrogate doc strings in 
>> some
>>
>>     #way to fail.
>>
>>  
>>
>> I changed the setting to 0 and headers and footers began rendering once 
>> again.
>>
>>  
>>
>> Thanks for staying with me through this. Appreciate your patience a ton.
>>
>>  
>>
>> Should I edit the wiki and put in a note to indicate that when running 
>> Trac under WSGI, python optimizations should be turned off?
>>
>>  
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Vijay
>>
>
> Great find! Yes, please do edit the page to add your findings.
>
> I've checked all the servers that I manage which use mod_wsgi and 
> WSGIPythonOptimize has the default value of 0.
>
> It would be interesting to know if the pages render correctly wth 
> WSGIPythonOptimize = 1. Maybe we just need to alert users against 
> WSGIPythonOptimize = 2.
>
> However, there may be another reason to avoid using WSGIPythonOptimize = 
> 1, which is #12004. I am not sure yet whether WSGIPythonOptimize = 1 has 
> the same effect as -o, but it does sound like it's the case.
> http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12004
> https://docs.python.org/2.7/using/cmdline.html?highlight=#cmdoption-O
>
> - Ryan
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Trac 
Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/trac-users.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to