Hey Ryan,

 

Nailed it! :-D

 

The issue was with the wsgi.conf file in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled –  
WSGIPythonOptimize 2  was set on the server that rendered pages without headers 
/ footers, but was  WSGIPythonOptimize 0  on the 2 servers (including the new 
built-from-scratch virtual machine) where Genshi was working.

 

It looks like the Trac / Genshi has an issue with optimizations turned on. The 
comment for this setting indicates that this might be the case:

 

    #WSGIPythonOptimize: Enables basic Python optimisation features.

    #

    #Sets the level of Python compiler optimisations. The default is '0'

    #which means no optimisations are applied.

    #Setting the optimisation level to '1' or above will have the effect

    #of enabling basic Python optimisations and changes the filename

    #extension for compiled (bytecode) files from .pyc to .pyo.

    #When the optimisation level is set to '2', doc strings will not be

    #generated and retained. This will result in a smaller memory footprint,

    #but may cause some Python packages which interrogate doc strings in some

    #way to fail.

 

I changed the setting to 0 and headers and footers began rendering once again.

 

Thanks for staying with me through this. Appreciate your patience a ton.

 

Should I edit the wiki and put in a note to indicate that when running Trac 
under WSGI, python optimizations should be turned off?

 

Cheers,

Vijay

 

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On 
Behalf Of Ryan Ollos
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 3:16 AM
To: Trac Users <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Trac] Re: Missing header and footer when running with WSGI

 

 

 

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Vijay Varadan <[email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> > wrote:

Hey Ryan,

 

Does "fresh install" mean that this is a new virtual machine that is guaranteed 
to have no other modifications other than the changes you've made in setting up 
Trac? 

No, it’s an existing server where I primarily run Wordpress instances. But this 
is the first python/WSGI site I’m running.

 

That said, I spent the better part of today setting up a new virtual machine 
with the same configuration as the one that has missing headers & footers. 
Everything works fine on the new server.

 

I did directory comparisons of trac and genshi  between the two machines to 
ensure nothing was messed up. Things match exactly, including ownership and 
permissions. I tried debugging and single stepping through the code using 
“import pid; pid.set_trace()”, but that only resulted in a BdbQuit error [ 
sorry I’ve never done python web debugging before ].

 

I guess it’s not an issue with Trac / Genshi, so much as it is with that 
specific server. I’m not sure how to debug this. If you have any pointers, I’d 
appreciate it.

 

Thanks.

-Vijay

 

 I might look at differences between the /etc/apache2 directories, particularly 
/etc/apache2/apache.conf.

 

- Ryan 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google 
Groups "Trac Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/trac-users/AQpVWTXVwsg/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to 
[email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> .
To post to this group, send email to [email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> .
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/trac-users.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Trac 
Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/trac-users.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to