Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 06:59 +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:
>> Quoting Amos Jeffries (squ...@treenet.co.nz):
>>
>>> Problem 1) Alphabets versus Languages
>>>  I've hit it with Serbian. They use two different alphabets Latin and
>>> Cyrillic. But only one language.
>>>  Distinguished by two codes sr-Latn and sr-Cyrl. The same issue occurs in
>>> Chinese Hans/Hant/Ming/* and has been hacked around previously by appending
>>> the specific ISO-3166 country code where its most frequently needed.
>>>
>>>  What I'm hoping for is to use the ISO-3066 alphabet codes as part of the
>>> language tag somewhere.
>>
>> This is indeed the first time I hear about ISO-3066.
>>
>> As one of the iso-codes maintainers, I know about ISO-15924, which is
>> meant to be a standard for script names. We include it in the package
>> since October 2007. Reference is http://unicode.org/iso15924/
>>
>> Example entry in the XML file we provide:
>>
>>         <iso_15924_entry
>>                 alpha_4_code="Cyrl"
>>                 numeric_code="220"
>>                 name="Cyrillic" />
>>         <iso_15924_entry
>>                 alpha_4_code="Cyrs"
>>                 numeric_code="221"
>>                 name="Cyrillic (Old Church Slavonic variant)" />
>> .../...
>>         <iso_15924_entry
>>                 alpha_4_code="Latn"
>>                 numeric_code="215"
>>                 name="Latin" />
>>

>> These examples use your own example. Note that the alpha4 code is
>> indeed the same.
>>
>> I'd say that ISO-15924 seems to be an evolution of 3066 or something
>> like this.
>>
>> WRT your general message, I agree that using ISO 15924 codes in locale
>> names would be a great progress over the current hacks implemented in
>> various ways (zh_CN vs. zh_TW as a hack between Simplified and
>> Traditional Chinese....or "Hans" vs. "Hant", or variants for Serbian,
>> or probably others I don't know about).
>
> We're following the Gettext/POSIX convention here which is different
> from the RFC.
>
> I think this is dealt with with something like s...@latn and s...@cyrl -
> these should work in Pootle as we're currently running with c...@valentia
> and we're able to manage that correctly.
>
> Still doesn't solve your problem about having to link the name on Pootle
> to the name you need for your files.

I can continue that part manually for now, it has not been difficult so far.

But please consider the problem of symlinks versus language
creation/updates from template folder as a feature request. I'd love to
be able to automate that part. Generating symlink in the language folder
from the base path of a symlink in templates folder seems to be the easy
way and would come close to a usable solution for me.

Amos
Squid Project