Magnus wrote:
Aaron, thank you so much for your thoughtful contributions to this thread. I've personally found it very interesting to read, from both sides.

Just an unsolicited $0.02:

Aaron S. Joyner wrote:
So, base salary isn't what one might typically expect.  And even from
the offer letter, it's sometimes hard to make an accurate assessment of
what the compensation package provided by Google really is.

Bang. Right there you've got a big red flag for geeks that are further along in their careers... maybe someone like me who is supporting a wife & three kids. Guys like me would much rather have a "sure thing" that may or may not be less than an income that can vary widely depending on how your own performance is perceived, how the company performance is measured by the bean counters, and how the compensation plan itself is inevitably going to be restructured as the company matures.

A lot of us got burned, badly, during the heady dot-com years when so much of our compensation was based off of company performance, stock options, and so on. These days, it is a lot more attractive to be able to bank on getting $X per paycheck rather than a substantially lower number with *potential* for a balloon payment annually of unknown value.

These flexible compensation packages are probably more attractive to people right out of school, dual income families, single adults, or childless couples. I do think that this sort of package would tend to repel breadwinners from single income families or families with a number of children.
I have to concur with Magnus here. The job I had as an SA before this one regularly came with a "base" bonus of 20%. I always made at least that. Why did I hate getting a bonus, then? Because when you accept it in lieu of being paid a salary -- as deferred compensation, or what-have-you -- it is no longer a bonus. It's if-we-feel-like-it salary on the part of management. If they take it away -- and they won't hesitate to do so, if they really need to -- boom, you're suddenly working for WAY below market rate for your skills, and good luck convincing your next company that you're worth (your salary) * (1.bonus). Will this happen at Google? Damned if I know -- and that's the point. But this is just a feeling on my part, based on my experience; Aaron obviously feels that it was well worth the risk, and I certainly can't say he was wrong.

So: I did not consider bonuses as a numerical part of my salary at the jobs I was considering in 2006, as all the companies I had an interest in were "large" (more than a couple thousand) and publicly traded. I might consider it for a small, flat company where I had a distinct and measurable influence as an employee. Guess what I heard? No bonus for IT in 2006 at my old company. I hated to be proved right for the sake of my ex-co-workers. Perhaps working there had this cynical influence on my attitude which you all in TriLUG land are probably contrasting with Aaron's at this very moment.

Aaron, you made a bunch of other interesting and valid points which I will respond to at some point in the near future. Any other almost-was Googlers on the list? I'm getting quite curious, now.