danieru: You are conflating 3 separate concepts: [1] the abstract concept of a work, like “The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha”, [2] its physical representation (an exemplar of this work as found in most libraries) and [3] “work” as the action of making effort to build something (as in “it took Cervantes work to write Don Quixote”). In the same confusion, you are also conflating physical property with intellectual property. This is exactly the confusion that information (software, music, movies and similar) monopolies want people to make; they are spreading this confusion when they speak of “piracy” and “stealing”. I have marked in this message usages of these concepts to make it clear.

>So because you can easily make copies then the value of my work is 0?

I quote this as an example of the aforesaid conflation. Here onpon isn't saying that your work [1] is worthless, but that a copy [3] of your work [1] has almost zero monetary value since in the digital age it is extremely easy to copy information when not encumbered by DRM.

The argument of onpon is that the owner of a copy [2] of a work [1] should be able to use his copy according to his discretion; this includes making a reproduction of this copy and selling it.

When you put work [3] into making a work [1] and then somebody distributes copies [2] your work [1] without your authorization, they are not stealing or selling your work [3] (that is the fallacy behind the term “piracy”). You only have done as much work [3] as you wanted, and making copies of the product of that work [3], that is it, the work [2] does not entails a cost for you. You may be able to profit by first using law to make illegal for people to make physical copies of that work [1], then act as the sole provider of copies [2] for that work [1] and charge a fee, or sell the right to make those copies [2] to third parties (to a publisher if it is a book). However, it is a fallacy to conclude that somebody is stealing anything from you by producing copies [2] of your work [1] by his own means (bypassing your attempt to establish a monopoly), because he is not consuming anything from you or forcing you to make more work [1] that what you have already did by your own will.

A separate argument may be made on whether the artificial monopolies that Copyright grants (and the implied restriction of our ability to make copies of works without depending on the author) may be justified on the grounds that it provides a means to found production of works [2] in a capitalist economy. It is a mistake to think that Copyright exists or try to justify it because it enable authors to profit; that is backwards reasoning. By a similar reasoning we could try to “justify” an hypothetical law to forbid people to prepare their own food so that restaurants will profit more, because that way restaurants will profit more, then claim that allowing people to prepare food is stealing from the restaurants.