Gnome might not be a good desktop option for you, but it's still a good desktop option, and a smart idea. Even if I don't use it, I think it should be Trisquel's default, and here's why:

I learned recently that Gnome is interesting BECAUSE it's not highly configurable (at first glance at least). For a new user who barely knows GNU/Linux, it means much less chances to break the system.
It gives a sense of stability and reliability which is important.
Also, I've read that some advanced users like it and use it too. It's more configurable than you think. I'd probably suggest Gnome 3/Shell to new users for the aforementioned reasons.

Those Macbooks don't cost too much anymore (which is nice), but the max amount of RAM is unfortunately very low. An X200 might be better for a similar amount (Non-Gluglug, the basic stuff), for the sole reason that you have more room to upgrade. But sure, the Macbook looks nice and is probably enough to handle most basic tasks.