I agree. If the distro cared about becoming free software, you would not need such a script--they would do it themselves. If they do not care enough, then they will have respositories containing non-free software. This would make them ineligible to become an FSF sanctioned officially free distro.

We couldn't help them if we wanted to. They have to want to change. It is not as though they have never heard of free software! Now if you are asking why don't we create a free version of a particular distro, the answer is we did! We took Ubuntu and cleaned it of all the non-free software. Why would we want to do that again? We could use that time making this distro even better!