What I'm trying to see is if Trisquel and GNOME are 2 separate programs(Desktops) but when I look at their dependencies they seem to need components from each other. Being new to how all this works, perhaps I'm not comprehending what a package is. I know it's not a program, so my next assumption is, it's a component. The dependencies seem to be componenents, which I know can't work alone..

Then I need to understand GNOME and GNOME Shell. If I am correct, GNOME is a program that can run alone, but not the shell. I remember what a shell is from my PC days.

I'll never be a good tech person but it's so fascinating, so I do my best to understand. As long as I'm using this tech stuff I will try to understand it.