That's indeed a difficult case to solve. I hope some free/libre software
can support XFA forms (either by volunteer work, or by development made
by people hired to implement such feature). If someone knows a reader
that supports these forms, please reply to this topic.

I don't know much about PDF (and all variants, because there is no "one
PDF standard"), but perhaps you can make use of the `drop_xfa` option of
the pdftk software. I don't know how to use it though, because I don't
have any experience or knowledge about it.

For me, the best "PDF standard" is the PDF/A-1, because it provides less
problems to free/libre software activists. Evince (the default document
viewer) can probably tell which standard that document is using.

With this in mind, there are also less demanding approaches at your
side, the idea of these approaches is to tell the provider of the PDF
document to fix the issue himself, otherwise forget the application:

- Demand the provider of the document to fix the issues, and/or provide
  a PDF/A-1 document.

- Drop the application if he fails to respect that demand.

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com