I'm in the US and routinely apply for grants through grants.gov, since almost all federal funding agencies (except the NSF, as far as I know) use it. In my experience there is no other way but to use adobe reader. So i boot into windows and do it there. If enough of us complain, especially if we coordinate, we may have some luck, some day (probably under a different administration). Cooperative agreements (a type of smaller research grant) from the US Dept of Agriculture also require the use of as adobe reader, btw.