I had this issue with a x200 flashed to Libreboot two years ago.
When I ran qemu with --enable-kvm or when I used libvirt (with virt-manager), it freezed and I was forced to hard shutdown. The x200 had a a P8400 Core 2 Duo, I don't remember the batch.. but on my current x200 (with a P8600) and latest Libreboot stable (september 2016), kvm works great with Linux / BSD / Window$ VM. I'm not sure if the thing was CPU related.. I don't use Trisquel anymore these days.. You can disable KVM but virt will be slow as hell though. Try to use jxself's linux-libre-lts kernel and make sure you're running latest libreboot stable first as ADFENO suggested.