DAVEH:
> Would you be so kind as to elaborate just a little
> more on the meaning of "substance" as used here.
> Thanx.

The web site Marlin referred us to says that the substance is love.  I'm not
sure that love can be called a substance.  You are asking me, so I must
answer the best way that I can.  I do not know exactly what kind of
substance it is.  I know it is different than what we have knowledge about.
When Moses said he wanted to see God, Yahweh said that he would cover him
with his hand as he lay in the cleft of a rock, so that when he passed by,
Moses would not die.  Nevertheless, he let Moses see his back parts.

Whatever the substance is that gives God his form and existence, I do
believe that Jesus is made of the same thing.  The best analogy I might
think of is how my arm is made of the same substance as the rest of my body.
It has cells with the same genetic code and makeup, yet the cells of my arm
are differentiated for a particular function and can be distinguished from
other parts of my body.  I kind of view Jesus in this light, as someone
begotten of God, of the same substance as God, but not independent of God.
I guess you might say that Jesus is like God's right arm in a way, that he
is part of God, is God, but there is more to God than just Jesus.
Nevertheless, I hesitate to speak this way lest someone think that Jesus is
somehow less than God.  Jesus is God, and when you have seen him, you have
seen the Father, yet the Father also is greater than Jesus.  I know I might
sound like I'm talking in circles, but I do see something in my mind about
this, but I find it difficult to express with words.  Everytime I make a
statement, I realize that it might be taken the wrong way, but if I make
another statement, it might also be taken the wrong way.  It is difficult
for me to figure out how to define God with words.  Maybe it is impossible.
Maybe God designed language, all languages, in such a way that God could not
be defined by it.