"Charles P. Locke" wrote:

> DavidH,
>
>    I am in no rush...I can wait for your response.
>
>    No, I did not see the History Channel special on the Bible. I would like
> to have watched it, but do not get the HIstory Channel.

DAVEH:  That's a good reason for you to consider getting DISH TV.  There are a few
channels that make TV worth watching.  DISCOVERY, HISTORY & BIOGRAPHY are some that
can make TV a learning experience.  (And....I didn't even mention BYU-TV!)

> May I assume you
> watched it? Do you think it was, or at least made an attempt to be accurate,
> or was it hype?

DAVEH:  Yes, I watched it (and recorded it so I can review it later).  I was very
tired and fell asleep several times throughout the 3 hour program.  But, in typical
history channel fashion, it explained it in a neutral (scholarly) sense.

> When did it place the writing of the Revelation?

DAVEH:  The treatment of Revelation was at the end when I was the most tired.  I will
have to review it when I get home (if I can remember) to tell you what they said about
it.

>   Even if no one understands the whole of the Bible, that does not
> underscore the need for continued revelation.

DAVEH:  I respectfully disagree.  To suggest there is no need for further revelation
implies that you think God does not want us to know more than we do now.  I think that
is very short sighted.

> Especially when the body of
> supposed revelation to which you are referring contains self-serving and
> false information.

DAVEH:  I have not been 'pushing' LDS revelations.  In a general sense, I am
suggesting that the nature of the Bible has been a reflection of the Lord's
revelations to mankind through prophets.  If God is the same yesterday, today and
forever, then one
would expect him to continue to reveal his will through prophets.  Forgetting LDS
prophets.....do you know of any prophets who God is revealing his will through?  And,
are there any prophets who are creating Scripture as happened in Biblical times?  If
not, then why not?  Is Canon really closed.....and if so, why?  At this time it seems
to me that it might be very helpful to receive further guidance from above.

    For instance, would it not be useful to have enlightenment from Above regarding
the proper method of baptizing....sprinkling, pouring, immersing or perhaps even
"don't bother"?  Or a question that recently arose about the Sabbath....perhaps a
prophet
could tell us what is acceptable to the Lord in that regard.

> After all, can you tell me who Oliver Granger is, and why
> his name would be remembered from generation to generation (even though that
> is ALL that was remembered of him, and only because that is recorded
> "doctrine"!)? What sacred memories do you have of Ollie? Or, has "forever
> and ever" already passed, so this "prophecy" has expired?

DAVEH:  I suspect that if no one other than the Lord remembers him, he'll be happy!

>    David, this is just one tiny example of the multitude of errors that one
> finds in the D&C, and likewise in the BoM, yet LDS continue daily to tear
> and strain at explanations for errors like this.

DAVEH:  Is that you consider to be an error?  Would you consider similar criticisms of
the Bible?

> I can deeply understand
> their need to continue to do this, for to deny even one word from the D&C or
> BoM (at the LDS leadership level) would bring this vast empire tumbling like
> a house of cards. The only thing, I believe, that keeps this empire intact
> is their pride, which makes them think they are right. I grieve for the LDS,
> who continue to deceive themselves and others with these false writings and
> teachings. I do not understand why God allows such wonderful and
> well-intentioned people to continue to be decieved.

DAVEH:  Perhaps he isn't as concerned about it as much as you, Perry.

>    Now, as I wipe a tear from my heart, I hope you and your family have a
> wonderful time at the beach. At which beach are you vacationing?

DAVEH:  Thank you Perry.  Gleneden Beach, between Depoe Bay and Lincoln City on the
Central Oregon coast.