Slade wrote:
> That's been my point... allow the Bible to define
> the subject. Whether it's a sin to pick up sticks
> on the Shabbat is a sin or not depends upon the
> situation. Suppose a man didn't prepare enough wood
> the day before to heat his house on the Shabbat,
> and a cold snap came through. Does he and his family
> (including a newborn baby) suffer or does he pick up
> sticks in order to make his family comfortable on the
> most important day of the week? If you say NO STICK
> GATHERING, then let be remind you of the ass in the
> pit, or the man who needed healing on the Shabbat.

Slade, my friend, you still have not answered my question.  Is it right
or wrong to pick up sticks on Shabbat?

With regard to a man who didn't prepare for Shabbat: Would not the
family in that situation come to trust in God more fully, particularly
on that Sabbath day, than would the family who pampers their flesh?  You
bring up Jesus' teaching about helping an animal or healing a man, but
what does this have to do with picking up sticks?  Was helping an animal
considered an exception by the Pharisees?  I thought the point Jesus was
making was that they did not consider that work that violated the
sabbath, so why should they consider healing to be work.  I do not
understand the connection you are trying to make between this and
gathering sticks on Shabbat.

The first question to answer is whether or not it is sin to pick up
sticks on Shabbat.  Once we have that as a foundation, then perhaps we
can fine tune your answer, including how other Torah commandments might
supercede that one and allow picking up sticks, but I find your
inability to answer this question most revealing about how you read
Torah.

Slade wrote:
> I object because to snuff out every fire before the
> beginning of Shabbat suffers those in the high north
> or south to death and great inconvenience.

Ok, so you object not because of what Torah teaches, but because of how
you think Torah would be cruel to people if it were followed and obeyed
literally.

After having read my comments about the Hebrew language used here, do
you now agree that "burn a fire" is an accurate way to translate Exodus
35:3?

Slade wrote:
> Instead of looking forward to Shabbat, it becomes a curse
> because the next three to five days (IF they survive) must
> be spent defrosting their frozen water pipes. One friend
> of mine indicates that he believes what is meant is no
> WORK fires (forges, etc.). I don't completely agree with
> his perspective but it's interesting nonetheless.

Well, they could always move to a warmer climate like Florida so that
they can keep the Torah!  :-) LOL

All kidding aside, I'm open to discussing the possibility of allowing a
furnace for heat, but only if you first admit that picking of sticks and
burning a fire in one's home is forbidden by Torah.  Also, I would like
for you to acknowledge that the person who cannot cook or heat his home
is much more likely to trust in God that Shabbat than the person who
heats his home and cooks up a feast.

Slade wrote:
> What about YHVH's house and the perpetually
> burning Menorah? What about the perpetually
> burning altar?

The passage says "in your habitations."  Some translations say, "in your
home" or "in your house."  I think the idea of Torah is that God's house
burns bright and gives us light and heat, but our own house does not
because it is a time that we rely on God.

I do not object to expounding upon how certain laws in Torah might
supersede other laws and allow for burning a fire, but surely we ought
to begin with agreement that Torah specifically says not to pick up
sticks or burn a fire in our homes. Why is it so difficult to get
agreement upon this teaching of Torah?

Slade wrote:
> Interesting how you use multiple definitions of a
> word to define it use in a singular place. BAD BAD
> BAD hermeneutics.

No, I am not using multiple definitions.  What I am doing is extending
the concept to the modern situation of having electricity do the same
function as fires did for the Israelites to whom this law was given.
This is no different than you quoting Jesus' teaching about animals
needing help on the Sabbath and applying it to people being allowed to
pick up sticks so that they can warm themselves.

In the situation of the Israelites gathering manna, they were commanded
to gather twice as much on the day before Shabbat.  They also were
commanded not to gather wood on Shabbat, nor to burn a fire in their
homes, nor to boil or bake food on Shabbat.  What if an Israelite had an
electric stove and electric heater.  Would he be obeying Torah if he
used it to do what his neighbors were forbidden to do with sticks and
fire?  Don't you see how this is a kind of legal loophole to get out of
obeying the intent of Torah?

David Miller wrote:
>> That's right, and the word "justification" is not just "salvation"
>> according to the western mindset of get saved then move on to other
>> things.  Paul is addressing how believers ought to move forward in
their
>> justification once they have come to faith in Jesus Christ.
>>
>> O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey
the
>> truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth,
>> crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the
>> Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so
>> foolish? HAVING BEGUN IN THE SPIRIT, ARE YE NOW MADE PERFECT BY THE
>> FLESH? Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
He

Slade wrote:
> "Gal 5:4 -- You are severed from Christ, you who would be
> justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace."
> This is the main point of Galatians.  Paul was reinstructing
> the church that justification does NOT come from the
> Law (even Moses told us that... like, duh!). This is the
> same message preached at the Jerusalem Council. James, on
> the other hand, gives us a treatise that says faith is not
> in a vacuum but is proven through the works we do.

Read the verses leading up to this one.

Gal 5:1  Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made
us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Gal 5:2  Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ
shall profit you nothing.
Gal 5:3  For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he
is a debtor to do the whole law.

Look at Galatians 5:1, and tell me whether or not these Galatians were
ALREADY JUSTIFIED before God by their faith in Christ.  Clearly, these
were CHRISTIANS, FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST ALREADY.  Paul was not trying to
teach them to get saved through Christ first, then come to the Torah for
their sanctification and perfection.  Paul was rebuking their tendency
to go back to Torah after having already been justified through faith in
Christ.  Furthermore, he buttresses it with saying that if they do
become circumcised, they are making a commitment much more than
circumcision.  Paul is teaching that if any of them get circumcised,
they are committing themselves to keep the whole Torah and not just part
of it.  He is teaching them that if they keep part of Torah, they are
obligated to keep ALL of Torah.

Then he says what you quote in Galatians 5:4,

"Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified
by the law; ye are fallen from grace." (Galatians 5:4)

This was said to people who according to our Western vernacular, were
already justified and already saved.  He is saying that if they get
circumcised, Christ is become of no effect and they are fallen from
grace.

The justification he is talking about is not just this "salvation"
experience that the Western mind has about salvation.  Try to think
Eastern here, Slade.  :-)  He is talking about how we obtain right
standing with God.  Is it through keeping Torah, or through faith in
Jesus Christ.  It appears from what has been posted here in this forum
that many Messianics teach we obtain right standing with God through
both faith in Christ and keeping Torah commandments.  First you believe
in Jesus Christ and are saved.  Then you keep Torah to please God and
express your love toward God (but never keep it for salvation because
salvation is only through Jesus Christ).  The idea seems to be that this
Torah obedience perfects you and sanctifies you and makes you holy.
Paul is teaching in Galatians that the two systems are no more
reconcilable than a man marrying two women (this might not make sense to
the Mormons on the list!).  Paul teaches that you must divorce one and
be married to the other.  So Paul is forcing the Galatians to choose
between keeping Torah and believing in Jesus Christ.

None of this means that Paul was not Torah observant himself, or that
others could not keep Torah on a cultural basis.  Paul took Timothy and
circumcised him.  Does that mean that Paul caused Timothy to fall from
grace?  Certainly not, but he also praised Titus for not being compelled
to be circumcised.  The point is that one does not achieve right
standing with God through keeping Torah.  One obtains righteousness by
faith in Jesus Christ, and when a person walks in love, they are keeping
all of Torah.  The bottom line is that the literal keeping of Torah is a
shadow, but the message of Torah is spiritual and eternal.  Let us walk
in the spiritual and eternal.

Slade wrote:
> Izzy and my attempts to SHOW our faith by our works (whether
> these works are defined in the Older or in the Newer covenants)
> are the real issue here...  or so it seems. As James says,
> "Show me your faith without the works, and I'll show you my
> faith BY my works."

But what I am concerned that you have done is confused works which come
forth as the fruit of true faith with works as acts of obedience to the
law.  When you do that, the meaning of faith is lost.  For those with in
improper understanding of these two types of works, if a Pharisee kept
all the law, one might be tempted to point to him and say, "look at that
man's works.  We know he has faith because his works exceed that of
anybody else."  Paul teaches that in Christ, circumcision avails nothing
and uncircumcision avails nothing.  Only faith that works by love has
meaning when a person is in Christ.

Concerning the one under the law: because the law commands circumcision,
then the one who is circumcised is doing the right thing and is
justified before God.  The one who is under law keeps Sabbath, and he is
thereby justified before God because God commanded him to keep Sabbath
and he kept it.  However, concerning the one in Christ Jesus: whether a
person keeps Sabbath (the seventh day rest as literally taught in Torah)
or whether he does not keep it, it avails him nothing.  In Christ Jesus,
whether a man is circumcised (the circumcision as literally taught in
Torah) or whether he is not circumcised, it avails him nothing.  In
Christ, the only thing that matters is faith in Jesus Christ which works
by love (and love brings forth good works).  In Christ Jesus, one must
be circumcised, but not in the literal foreskin as taught by Torah, but
he must be circumcised in the heart.  In Christ Jesus, one must keep
Sabbath, not in the literal seventh day sense as taught by Torah, but he
must enter by faith into the Kingdom of God (which is characterized and
foreshadowed by the teaching of Torah on Sabbath).  None of this outlaws
the literal keeping of Torah.  We are free to circumcise our male
children and to observe the seventh day as holy (although there is a
teaching that in Christ, the eighth day sabbath ought to replace the
seventh day sabbath).  What we are not free to do is lead others into
thinking that by keeping the literal commandments of Torah that we
become justified before God, meaning that we become more righteous or
more holy or that we are viewed better by God because we kept these
former commandments which were given to Israel.

I think one error being taught in the Messianic camp is that
justification equals salvation but that sanctification and holiness is
something else that comes through Torah observance.  Perhaps if you can
establish this premise, you would better argue your position.  I think
the fact that James uses an example of justification for Abraham that
happened some 20 years after the example Paul used for Abraham's
justification illustrates that the idea that justification does not
correspond to the modern Western mindset of salvation through a
statement of faith in Jesus Christ.

Slade wrote:
> From this little perch I sit, it appears that the
> Seventh-day Sabbath Keepers are a target (and perhaps
> we put the bull's eye on our keisters).  If you can
> show how they fail in their task to keep the Shabbat
> holy, then you can justify you own defilement of the
> Day.

Absolutely NOT! I am hoping to lead you into a way of not defiling
Shabbat and the pure teaching of Torah concerning it.  What I am
concerned about is that you have so altered the Torah teaching on
Shabbat in order to make it easy for everyone to keep it that the
Shabbat has lost the depth of meaning and beauty that it would otherwise
have.  When you reject the Torah teaching about not picking up sticks on
Shabbat, not cooking on Shabbat, not burning a fire on Shabbat, you
strip the glory and meaning being conveyed by Torah so that we only
appreciate a washed down version of Shabbat.  It seems to me that your
version of Shabbat does not glorify Shabbat anymore than the Sunday
Sabbath keeper.

I like the idea of people keeping Torah literally.  When I observe the
discipline of a real Israelite keeping Shabbat in an orthodox way, my
heart is warmed by the depth of meaning that this has for our entering
the Kingdom of God in the same way that my heart is warmed when they
keep Passover and the feast of unleavened bread.  It seems to me that
many Messianics simply want to change worshipping on SUNday to
worshipping on SATURday.  They want to claim Biblical support for doing
it by quoting the Ten Commandments, but they reject the more detailed
teachings of Torah that explain how Shabbat ought to be kept holy.  I am
offended that they want to dishonor celebrating the eighth day Sabbath,
the day of our Lord's resurrection, in order to glorify some watered
down Old Covenant practice.  I say, if you are going to keep the Old
Covenant commandments and teach men so, then you had better keep it
right.  You had better keep all of it and you had better not water it
down with vain traditions of men.

The lighting of candles on Friday evening as Shabbat approaches is a
tradition of man.  I hope you blow them out before Shabbat arrives to
signify the commandment of God in Torah not to burn fire in your homes
on Shabbat.  I hope you do not cook meals on Shabbat.  When Shabbat is
kept as taught in Torah, it is wonderful and glorious, full of meaning
and pointing us to the Kingdom of God found through faith in Jesus
Christ.

Slade wrote:
> I never mentioned the Kingdom, and you apparently missed the
> last part of Ecclesiastes: "Let us hear the conclusion of the
> whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments; for this
> applies to EVERY MAN. For God will being every work into
> judgment, with all that his hidden, whether good or whether
> evil." THAT was my point... not whether you're going to be
> in the Kingdom or not. I believe you suffer some unbelief...
> but unbelief to the exclusion of you having the gift of Eternal
> Life? I have no way of knowing. All I can do is pray for those
> I love (which includes you).

The passage in Hebrews is not talking about SATURday.  It is talking
about the kingdom of God.  The people he was talking about already kept
SATURday holy, according to the teachings of Torah.  They kept it holy
better than you or Izzy, because they did not pick up sticks on Shabbat,
nor did they cook meals on Shabbat.  They kept the Torah commandment
concerning Shabbat exactly as Torah commanded it.

The problem is that they never really entered the Shabbat that Torah was
really talking about because of unbelief.  They thought Shabbat was
Saturday.  They never entered the true rest of God that belonged to
God's people. They never entered the Promised Land.  So it is clear from
the teaching of Hebrews that there is another rest being talked about by
the Torah commandment to keep Shabbat.  That rest is the Kingdom of God.
It is foreshadowed by the Promised Land (the Eretz) of the Hebrew
Scriptures.

Therefore, when you say that I walk in the same unbelief that the
Israelites did, as per the context of Hebrews 4, you would be saying
that I am going to perish in the wilderness too, without having ever
entered into the promised land.  Now I realize that this is according to
my understanding of Hebrews.  Apparently you have some other
understanding of Hebrews which you have not articulated.  It seems to me
that neither you nor Izzy understand what Hebrews 4 is talking about in
regards to Shabbat.  This passage has been brought up several times, but
the responses coming from you and Izzy seem very unsatisfactory.  Maybe
one or both of you should offer some commentary on Hebrews 4, especially
in light of my comments that the rest mentioned in Heb. 4 that belongs
to the people of God is the Kingdom of God which those with faith in
Christ press into and possess right now in this life.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.