Kevin Deegan wrote:
DAVEH:  Thank you for pointing that out, Kevin.  Question....Why do you think God let those errant chapter headings be placed in his presumably inerrant work to mislead folks?

He put it there for Folks like you:
DAVEH:  Don't let me put words in your mouth, Kevin......But from your reply it seems as though you think God is purposely trying to mislead some people.  Is that what you are saying?

He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

IS 8:14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken. Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.

IS 28 yet they would not hear But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men

Mt 13;15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

DAVEH:  Now I understand that a lot of TTers believe I have my eyes closed and my ears aren't listening and my heart is cold.....but, I'm hearing conflicting things on TT and I'm trying to sort out why/how you (or other TTers) rationalize it to make sense in your mind.

    On one hand you claim the Bible is inerrant, and then qualify that it is only inerrant when one only considers the ancient texts, and not the modern Bible translations that may contain errors.  (If I haven't assessed that correctly, let me know, Kevin.)    And, I've been told that God has been very precise about what he has put into the Bible to make it inerrant.  When I have suggested in the past that I do not believe the Bible to be inerrant, I have been severely derided and chastised.  From these posts of late, I don't understand why those who disagree with me take such offense that I do not see this matter in the same light.  It seems to me that IF the Bible is inerrant, one should not have to make excuses and exceptions to that inerrancy.  Yet is that not what you are doing?

    From what I'm seeing, it seems quite reasonable for one to question the inerrancy of the Bible, IF at the time it was originally penned it was (presumably) inerrant, and now it is not.  At what point did God decide to stop preventing errors from creeping into the translations?  Is that not a fair question???

    Let me FTR post my belief, as I have before but not during the tenure of many current TTers:  I believe the Bible as far as it is translated correctly.  I do believe the Bible material was originally revealed in its inerrant form, but through the ages some has been lost and added, subtracted, changed or not even included for a variety of reasons.  The Lord specifically warned folks not to change specific revelations included in the Bible, which alone logically suggests that He (God) was not going to make sure the Bible remained inerrant indefinitely.  In the past week or so there have been a few TT posts that certainly have pointed out the fallacy of the inerrant Bible as we know it today.

    So....I have to wonder why many TTers find it so difficult to discuss such a possibility, let alone accept it.  Kevin.....Does it really threaten your faith to think God has not protected the Bible (from error) as much as Protestant tradition wants you to believe?

Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Kevin Deegan wrote:
Just pointing out the Numbers of the verses, the chapter headings, the chapter divisions and anything outside the text of the Word of God are not inerrant.
DAVEH:  Thank you for pointing that out, Kevin.  Question....Why do you think God let those errant chapter headings be placed in his presumably inerrant work to mislead folks?  The reason I ask is that several TTers have suggested the Lord would not have allowed error to enter into the Bible, yet that seems to be exactly what happened.  Logically, IF he allows errant material to enter the Bible at this late date, why could he not have let it enter at an earlier date as well?

If we did not have Gods inerrant word someone on this earth he could not hold us responsible for doit what it says.
DAVEH:  Hmmmmmmm......Were you thinking about Paul Hill when you penned this?

Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Kevin Deegan wrote:
DAVEH: Then how does one explain that some Bibles contain errant
headings IF God would not allow it? According to SB (today's radio
broadcast), Hebrews is not the only book in question.

I just found out today there is a contorversy about the bible dictionary in the back of my bible. There may some errors in it. How can I ever trust my Bible again? Can you help me Dave?

DAVEH:  I could, but I think it would be a major source of embarrassment for you to accept advice from a Mormon boy, Kevin.     :-)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Hansen

Dave Hansen