Even Jesus Himself had to wait until he was 30yrs old before being anointed and released to ministry. How is it that
God's ways appear to mean absolutely nothing to some in this generation?  jt

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:59:26 -0600 "ShieldsFamily" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Five year olds are not the best things upon which to base one's theology. Izzy

[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Lance Muir
Martin Buber, in a conversation with TFTorrance some time ago, said  'I've not listened to anyone over five years of age for thirty years". (He is the author if 'I and Thou')
From: "David Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Bill Taylor wrote:
The point of Jesus' statement had to do with the unwillingness of the religious establishment to repent and accept his teaching as truth. They were steadfast in their error, yet convinced they were right and needed no correction. That problem is still with us today.

DM: I agree, Bill, but I'm not sure we have the same people in mind in regards to the "religious establishment."  I consider the religious establishment to be guys like N.T. Wright and T.F. Torrance, and perhaps their ardent disciples.  We agree that the problem is still here with us, but we probably disagree about who is teachable and who is not.  I consider myself
to be very teachable, and so do most people who know me.  However, the older I get, the more informed opinions I have, and the _expression_ of opinions is often deemed to be unlike a child.  In fact, many consider any form of teaching whatsoever to be reflective of an unteachable person.   Although I do teach from time to time, my heart is still very much like a child in regards to the Lord and following him.

Bill Taylor wrote:
If that is "cause and effect" then I'm with you.

DM: Actually, I was talking about the relationship between those who do not appreciate the use of Scripture to correct and instruct one another (e.g., Lance), and the disbelief of those same people that a man of God may be perfect.  I was talking about "cause and effect" in regards to the  2 Tim. 3:16-17 passage teaching that the Scriptures being used for doctrine,
reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness (the cause) results in the effect of a man of God being perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.