John wrote:
> ... there is nothing that you believe as a
> mater of faith that cannot be wrong.

I see it the opposite, John.  There is nothing I believe as a matter of
faith that can be wrong.  I'm not expecting you to understand this because
of our past discussions about faith.  You and I perceive faith very
differently.  Your concept of faith is very much like that of the
unregenerate sinners to which I preach.  I don't say that as a slam.  I'm
just trying to communicate that your perspective of faith is the popular one
adopted by most of those in the world.  There is a deeper, Biblical
understanding of faith as something very spiritual.

Some passages for your consideration:

1.  Mark 11:24, "Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire,
when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them."

Ask yourself, how could Jesus make this promise except that "believe"
carries with it something stronger than just mental assent or mental
acceptance.  How many Christians have there been who have thought they
prayed and believed, yet they did not receive.  We either have to conclude
that Jesus was lying, or that he has something in mind about that word
"believe" that is stronger than the common use of that word.

2.  Mark 16:16-20
(16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth
not shall be damned.
(17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they
cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
(18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it
shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall
recover.
(19) So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into
heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
(20) And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with
them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

How many Christians have believed and been baptized but have not seen any of
these signs follow them?  Again, we either have to conclude that the concept
of faith as taught by Jesus is something greater than the popular concept of
it, or that Jesus was bearing false testimony here, or perhaps that this
passage only applies to the immediate believers to whom he spoke.  I take
the position that faith is something more than what most people think faith
is.

3.  John 14:12
(12) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that
I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I
go unto my Father.

This passage in John indicates that faith results in miraculous works on the
part of the one who has it.  If this is true, then many of those who say
they have faith really do not, because they are not doing the works that
Jesus did, and greater works too.

4.  Hebrews 11:1
(1) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things
not seen.

This passage indicates that faith cannot be wrong, for it is both substance
and evidence.  In other words, faith is not speculative, but there is a sure
foundation to which it is attached.

5.  Romans 10:14
(14) How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how
shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they
hear without a preacher?

This passage indicates that faith is based upon knowledge.  People cannot
just imagine what they want to believe.  They must hear the truth first,
then faith can come.  Therefore, faith is based upon truth.  If truth can
never be wrong, and faith can only be held in that which is true, then when
someone apprehends something by faith, it can never be wrong.

The key here is distinguishing between that which we apprehend by faith and
that which we simply acknowledge with our mind because of our opinions and
ideas.  Having some kind of speculation or idea is not faith, no matter how
much we try to believe it.

The way I see it, no matter how hard someone tries to have faith in a lie,
with the kind of faith that Jesus is talking about in the passages above, he
cannot do it.  No matter how hard he tries, there will always be some
reservation in his spirit.  On the other hand, when we perceive with
conviction and assurance a truth, and we achieve absolute confidence in it,
we can be sure that such a truth is infallible and can never be wrong.  For
example, when we see that Jesus is our Lord and Messiah with absolute
conviction, we can be sure that there is no possibility that this viewpoint
is wrong.  It is impossible for such a viewpoint to be wrong.

The teaching that any idea held by faith has the possibility of being wrong
is dangerous.  It is a natural idea and contrary to anyone who walks by the
Spirit.  The truth is that ideas that come from our objective experiences,
for example, scientific knowledge, is the kind of knowledge that is
tentative and provisional.  Those who apply themselves to natural methods of
learning come to realize that all their conclusions are tentative.
Therefore, the have the tendency to categorize all forms of knowledge in the
same way.  They declare that matters of theology and faith also are
tentative, but this is only an unproven assumption on their part.  They are
only projecting their own system of learning upon others, including those
who are spiritual.

The only kind of knowledge that is not tentative is that which comes through
faith.  This is an unpopular concept these days, I know, but this my
understanding of the Scriptures for what it is worth.

John wrote:
> This is not a thought that is in line with biblical
> teaching, my friend.   Baptism of the Spirit occurs
> for me on every occasion, and I mean every occasion
> that I share songs and hymns in a corporate setting.
> Eph 5:18-19 is a reference you might consider.

Eph. 5:18-19 is not talking about the baptism with the Holy Spirit.  This
passage speaks of a filling that all born again believers may experience.

To understand the baptism of the Holy Spirit, consider passages like those
found in Acts chapters 2, 8, 10, 11 & 19.

John wrote:
> At any rate, the "baptism of the Spirit with evidence of
> speaking in tongues" has such poor theological foundation
> that it, as a doctrine,  is quickly vanishing from the scene
> of the Pentecostal community.

If such were true, it would only be evidence of an apostasy and unbelief
within the Pentecostal community.  There is a very solid theological
foundation for the concept that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is
accompanied by speaking in tongues.  It is primarily those whose foundation
of learning is based upon objective proof that deny such.