Dave, free speech has limitations.  We recognize that.  One cannot yell fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire, and one cannot go into someone's house, turn off his TV, and start preaching to him.  Obscenity also is not considered acceptable when we talk about free speech.

The idea of free speech is that people are free to speak and gather assemblies together in public places.  I think I do understand why your religious organization wants to spend millions of dollars to privatize what would otherwise be a public area.  Nevertheless, such is very telling on your organization and the people who run it.  They want to regulate what is done outsides their buildings as well as inside.  What will they do next, buy all the property in the world so that nobody can express their own viewpoint or gather their own assembly to hear what they have to say?

The church of Jesus Christ should be most open to dialogue, not only allowing it outside their buildings, but inviting those outside to come in and talk with them.  If I had homosexuals or others gathering outside and protesting, I would invite them in and give them a platform.  I'd say, "let's hear what you have to say."  Then I would discuss it with them.  I would ask if anybody else there wanted to address what was said.  The truth has no fear of being challenged.  Only people who embrace falsehood are afraid of the truth.

If I were your President in the LDS, I would get my best debaters out there and engage the preachers, not spend millions of dollars buying up land hoping to create a bigger buffer between them and the church.  Do you realize how much less money it would have cost if you guys had just offered to pay their expenses to come out and have a forum in one of your buildings, and debated them in a public forum?  I understand you guys invited James White.  Why not the Street Preachers too?

From: Dave
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] the FWs about free speech thingy

DAVEH:  Why are street preachers such proponents of free speech when it benefits them......

You don't really believe in free speech, do you.

yet are so opposed to it.......

please do not forward posts to us that use the F word.

........ when it offends them?

    When LDS folks take offense at SPers' antics in SLC during Conference time, the SPers do not seem to understand why LDS folks do not appreciate their offending tactics.  Then SPers cry foul when they perceive their rights to free speech being restricted when the LDS Church buys a city street.

David Miller wrote:
Lance, please do not forward posts to us that use the F word.

David Miller

I have a reasonable expectation that they should obey the law.  Speech is
meant to be responded to with speech, not with illegal activity such as
theft, battery, discrimination, or murder.  You don't really believe in free
speech, do you.

 Dave Hansen
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.langlitz.com