On 23/09/2008, at 10:06 AM, Christopher Arndt wrote:

> iain duncan schrieb:
>> Hey folks, dunno if this is intentional or not, but easy_install
>> turbogears is now installing 1.1 beta.
>>
>> Shouldn't this default to 1.0.7?
>
> No, easy_install is always installing the latest version, that's
> available on the download page linked on the projects PyPI page.
>
> Thatswhy the official and supported installation method is the one
> described on http://docs.turbogears.org/Install using the tgsetup.py
> script, which will install the correct current stable version.

I don't agree with this decision.  I never use tgsetup.py (I forgot it
existed TBH) and the reason is that I distribute and deploy my TG
projects as eggs.  The guys deploying the apps are instructed that all
they need to do is easy_install the application eggs and the
dependency requirements will install TurboGears/etc if necessary.

My assumption is that setuptools will find the latest stable version
of 1.0.x from pypi, but as you say this is incorrect.  This should be
made clear, as I (and others in the same position) will need to make
sure we define the TG dependencies as "turbogears < 1.1a" to ensure
1.0.x is used, until such a time as we've been able to test and verify
1.1 compatibility.

I don't really understand why tgsetup.py should behave differently
than "easy_install turbogears".  I thought tgsetup.py was simply a
helper script for users unfamiliar with setuptools/etc to make their
life easier.  I would expect easy_install to be the standard
installation method, given that TG deployment is based around
setuptools/eggs.

Cheers,
Chris Miles