On 24/09/2008, at 12:00 AM, Christopher Arndt wrote:

> Chris Miles wrote:
>> On 23/09/2008, at 10:06 AM, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>>> Thatswhy the official and supported installation method is the one
>>> described on http://docs.turbogears.org/Install using the tgsetup.py
>>> script, which will install the correct current stable version.
>>
>> I don't agree with this decision.  I never use tgsetup.py (I forgot
>> it
>> existed TBH)
>
> That's hardly our fault, isn't it? ;)

Not at all :-)  However, I doubt I'd be the only one that naturally
assumes that I can install & upgrade TurboGears (and applications
dependent on TG) using the "standard" easy_install method.  We just
need to make sure that the documentation points out the things to
consider when using easy_install instead of the recommended
tgsetup.py.  And you've already starting doing that on the
DeployWithAnEgg page.

> The main TG website links directly to the official install
> instructions
> that tell you to use tgsetup.py. The mentioning of easy_install on the
> main install page only shows how to use easy_install to install a
> specific version of TG.

Fair enough.  I'm sure I originally used tgsetup.py to install
TurboGears, a few years back when first learning it.  Since then, I
forgot it existed as easy_install always worked fine for me and felt
like the more natural way to install an egg-packaged framework.

> We might also want to think about whether we should change the 1.0
> quickstart templates to to put "install_requires = ['TurboGears
> >=1.0.X,
> < 1.1b1'] in the setup.py by default.

+1.

Explicit is always better in my book.