On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 06:13, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in

> > +#define VIDEO_BPP 15 // saves memory
>
> This causes severe dithering artifacts. It's particularly visible
> on the colour buckets, which look look *really* bad now.

Odd. Is your display actually in 16 bpp mode? For me,
the 16 bpp value was horrid, and the 15 bpp value is
indistinguishable from 24 or 32.

My display is 32 bpp.

> > +//#define VIDEO_BPP 16 // causes purple discoloration
>
> And even white (!) aren't properly handled!

This setting is severely defective. Try this: Fill the
screen with dark grey. Put a bunch of small light grey
spots packed closely together, so that you can blur them
to make a medium grey color. Now do that... and you see
a purple tint after a while.

> > +//#define VIDEO_BPP 24 // compromise
> > +//#define VIDEO_BPP 32 // might be the fastest, if conversion
> > functions removed
>
> Is there any reason we can't use 32 bit mode?

Pro:

1. accurate
2. less bit shifting and alignment trouble
3. can rip out some slow N-bpp to 32-bpp conversion code

Con:

1. undo buffers take up 2x space
2. less of the image will fit in the CPU's cache

The record/playback feature could be used to benchmark
this. After drawing enough to use up all the undo buffers,
memory usage could be examined with ps, top, and pmap.