On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 13:52, Martin Fuhrer wrote:

> > I meant commits that were done. So, at the time of that email,
> > the problem of starters being totally broken should be gone.
>
> Thanks Albert, the problem is fixed under Mac OS X.  There is still a
> bit of a glitch in 800x600 mode, however:
> http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~fuhrer/tuxpaint/tuxpaint800x600.jpg
>
> Note that the left and right edges of the picture are smudged.  This
> does not happen in 640x480 mode.

That's somewhat intentional. It makes more sense for typical
kid drawings. Probably there should be a flag to choose an
alternate way of handling things.

The 800x600 display has a different-shaped canvas. Rather than
filling with white or screwing up the aspect ratio, I smeared
the edges.

Again, it makes more sense with typical kid drawings. Consider
a drawing with green grass, a blue sky, and a house. I first
scale the image to be as large as possible without messing up
the aspect ratio or being too big. That usually leaves space on
the sides, but could leave space at the top and bottom. Then I
smear to fill. The sky gets wider, the grass gets wider, and
the house grows proportionally.

There are fancier ways to do this, involving one or more of:

a. wavelets
b. vectors (like hq4x scaling, but to extrapolate outward)
c. markov modeling

Some of these can properly extend a lawn with dandilions!
In the reef example, new coral would be generated. If you
have trouble believing this, try the resynthesize plug-in
for the gimp.

If you know the math and can make it run in no more than a
few seconds, go right ahead. :-)