I have not seen this on the list yet; I post it so our archives will
be complete:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/06/11/1960921.aspx

Despite what I read in three or four headlines on my Google Home Page
this morning, Dave did not apologize to the Palins (he did say that he
regrets some of the jokes, but in the same breath pointed out that he
regrets a high percentage of the stupid, tasteless jokes he tells
every night to get cheap laughs).

I am the father of two daughters and can almost sympathize with Todd
Palin - except of course I did not allow my wife to use my teenage
pregnant daughter to try to get votes in an election. Comedians are
going to make "knocked up" jokes about Bristol, and while we don't
expect her father to like them, that is the situation they are in. I
thought Dave handled it well (this is where he is at his best, and
distances himself from the pack of late night hosts). He read Mrs.
Palin's criticisms in her own words, so her POV was represented, then
he re-read the jokes (which I thought he took some delight in -
especially the fiendish grin after saying he still liked the "slutty
flight attendant" joke). Then he addressed it in a serious way, and
avoided giving the weaselly  apology that Kevin hates so much. The
Palins should be happy, because they so obviously do not care that
much about having their young daughters in the media glare as along as
they can use them to pimp their own political agenda and personal
ambition. I'm sure they will be able to use this as exhibit A in their
attack on "New York-California" entertainment elites to raise lots of
cash. Of course there is nothing perverted about that.

More controversial Dave News this week I thought was Howard Stern's
appearance on Monday, when he took some pretty straight jabs at Leno
(something like "I never liked Leno" and bashing him for reading off
the prompter in his last show). I don't think Dave knew he was going
to do that, and he seemed to want to steer him away from that ground
as quickly as possible. If Conan was up to it he should issue a
Palin-esque defense of Leno.

I know it is fashionable to dismiss Dave as being past his prime,
mails it in, obsolete, irrelevant. Maybe it is just because I am such
a committed Dave guy, but it seems to me that in the last 9 months or
so Dave's show has been engaged in the contemporary discourse in a
much more direct and interesting way than any other network show. I
have been recording and watching Conan, but mine will always be a
Dave' House (unlike that traitor Tom Hanks).

I am not sure how much longer I will be recording Conan though, the
bloom is quickly falling off that rose. I don't like Dane Cook but
Conan just sat there like a dead fish last night while Cook slowly
bled to death telling a few overlong and under funny stories, without
doing anything to help or even indicate he was paying attention. He
did a little more in the second segment, which made me think someone
mentioned it to him.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
TV or Not TV .... Smart (TV) People on Ice!
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "TV or Not TV" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/tvornottv?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to