On Sep 23, 8:19 pm, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I think something else currently functions as the unseen thing on
> TV - abortion. This has been discussed at some length of course, but I
> think it is still true that few if any major tv characters have
> actually had an abortion since Maude.

In the first season of "Spenser For Hire" (ABC, 1985-86), Spenser's
girlfriend Susan Silverman got pregnant and considered an abortion.
The couple argued about it, with Spenser being strongly opposed, but
they did not break up over it.

It's been two decades since I've seen the episode, and I can't
remember if it ended with Susan getting the abortion or having a
miscarriage. In either event, I do remember the episode ended with the
couple holding hands as Susan laid in her hospital bed.

-Tim