A couple points of clarification:

Because of the nature of the relationship between the drivers and Nascar,
it would be a challenge for Nascar to prevent drivers from running in other
races. It would have to take a restriction on the driver/owner level.

The fact law enforcement was and remains involved is a Very Bad Sign for
Stewart, mostly because there's a question of criminal liability (i.e.,
this was clearly not a racing incident). The police confirmed this morning
they have a second view of the accident, unseen by the public. They're
serious about this.

Finally, there have been incidents where drivers have moved towards the
racing line under a caution to express their extreme displeasure at another
driver. After this I'll bet Grandma's pearls Nascar makes it abundantly
clear that behavior will no longer be considered acceptable.