On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But the reports I have seen suggest one or more staffers have access to
> key footage, which they could release on their own. This would be against
> the wishes of whoever ultimately controls it, and the idea is that everyone
> signed a release form that exacts a $4or $5M penalty. Presumably whoever
> released it would be fired, but the idea is to find a wealthy benefactor
> who would pay the penalty.

I always assumed that an employee would be the one to hand over footage.
And it has to be done anonymously, meaning that the news organization
cannot know the source. This came up when the NYT published the Trump state
tax return with the $916M loss. The reporter went to her snail mail box in
the office and saw the manila envelope. If she knew who sent it, NYT's
legal department would have forced her to sit on it or find another way to
get it out in public. If she knew the source, in a courtroom she could be
compelled to reveal it of face contempt charges.

So in this case the news organization cannot know the source unless
NBC/MGM/Burnett agree to release the footage which they won't.