On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com> wrote:

I always assumed that an employee would be the one to hand over footage.
> And it has to be done anonymously, meaning that the news organization
> cannot know the source. This came up when the NYT published the Trump state
> tax return with the $916M loss. The reporter went to her snail mail box in
> the office and saw the manila envelope. If she knew who sent it, NYT's
> legal department would have forced her to sit on it or find another way to
> get it out in public. If she knew the source, in a courtroom she could be
> compelled to reveal it of face contempt charges.

Don't journalists protect their sources no matter what? Even if it means
being sent to prison? I'm pretty sure that David Fahrenthold at the
Washington Post said he knew his source for the Access Hollywood tape, but
wasn't revealing it.

But yes - an anonymous DVD or video file would be the way to go.

> So in this case the news organization cannot know the source unless
> NBC/MGM/Burnett agree to release the footage which they won't.

 I suspect that MGM/Burnett have the servers or tape library where the
footage is stored on lockdown.