On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 8:34 PM, Kevin M. <drunkbastar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... after a "meltdown" at a Barnes & Noble booksigning.
>
> http://variety.com/2018/scene/vpage/rose-mcgowan-meltdown-
> barnes-and-noble-book-signing-1202684004/
>
> She appeared on Colbert last night after the signing went askew. The
> interview derailed almost from the start and there was nothing Colbert
> could really do to get it back on track.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/colbertlateshow/videos/1321067461371335/
>
> On the Tweety-thingy, Ms. McGowan stated she's taking time away.
>
> https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/959504910902595585
>
> Wherever you land on the #metoo issue, this woman has faced the sort of
> scrutiny normally reserved for presidential candidates. I cannot imagine
> the emotional impact of all the pressure, so I am not prepared to cast
> judgment on her. Not trying to lump shaved-headed women together, but her
> demeanor on Colbert reminded me of Sinead O'Connor's social media posts
> last year. Alas, O'Connor (now going by Magda Davitt) was "helped" by Phil
> McGraw, so I can only hope that McGowan is able to take the time she needs
> to rejuvenate, and if she seeks help or counsel from someone, that it isn't
> a Hollywood quack.

I have a lot of sympathy for McGowan. As much as it can feel watered down
when an organization gets together and puts out a corporate-speak sounding
message, the organization can provide message focus, media training, and
emotional support for someone like her. It's unbelievably difficult to
become the face of a movement on one's own and have to deal with the
denials and power politics from one side and the cries for help and sharing
the pain from the other. That will take a psychic toll and the Barnes &
Noble incident can become too much to deal with. I saw McGowan's appearance
on the Late Show and it was clear she had some chemical enhancement. That
is not surprising as the talk shows are know for having an alcohol cart
available to guests to loosen them up if necessary. She came off unfocused
and defensive.

The evening after she did an interview with Ronan Farrow at the 92nd St Y
and then started her hiatus. Vox has a long transcript. I don't know if
it's the complete conversation or just excerpts. It gives a good sense of
what her past year has been like and what led up to the hiatus.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/2/6/16973736/rose-mcgowan-ronan-farrow-harvey-weinstein