Since there is now the ability to "crossflex" games from CBS to Fox, they
wouldn't even need to configure the schedule obscenely to remove games from
Fox.

One thing I don't think we have considered is that the 2:30 p.m. broadcast
start is predicated on a finish at about 7, to lead into 60 Minutes. That
works in April because the sun sets in Augusta at about 8.  But in
mid-November, sunset is going to be just before 5:30. So regardless of TV
coverage, the Masters is going to have to shift its start times to at least
2 1/2 to 3 hours earlier in the day.

What I could see happening is a shift to a schedule that would see the
Masters scheduled to finish at 4, allowing CBS to run late games starting
at 4:25. That would also give the tournament an hour to play with if need
be for playoffs, etc. CBS would need to come up with a Plan B for NFL
markets with late games, but I suspect secondary affiliates wouldn't be too
hard to find in that situation.

John

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 6:45 PM Joe Hass <hassgoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> These are all great ideas! Here's my completely blind guess:
>
> 1. CBS will air the Masters at 2:30 and no NFL.
> 2. The NFL will configure the schedule to give six AFC teams bye weeks
> that week, which take care of three games. They'll also make sure there's
> no spectacularly obvious "must see" game that week (think
> Cowboys/Washington or Patriots/Chiefs).
> 3. The Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night games will all be games that
> would normally air on CBS.
> 4. That leaves 10 games, which you could split five and five in the two
> slots on Fox. Call up a couple of the college broadcast teams, and you're
> set.
>
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 1:58 PM Joe Hass <hassgoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Over at The Athletic, Richard Deitsch interviewed Jim Nantz about The
>> Masters not being held this weekend (I can't tell if it's behind the
>> paywall or not):
>>

>> https://theathletic.com/1735297/2020/04/09/jim-nantz-reflects-on-a-missed-masters-weekend/
>>
>> Near the end, Deitsch notes that if the rescheduled dates hold (November
>> 12-15), that drops the tournament smack dab into the middle of the NFL
>> season. As CBS's number one play-by-play guy, where would Nantz be?
>>
>> “I don’t think there’s any doubt that I will be anywhere other than
>> Augusta National.”
>>
>> While I don't doubt Nantz, here is the *MUCH* bigger broadcasting problem
>> for CBS:
>>
>> Traditionally CBS goes on the air Masters Sunday at 2:30 PM ET. The NFL's
>> regularly scheduled game windows on Sunday start at 1:00 PM ET and
>> 4:05/4:25 PM ET.
>>
>> The NFL may be the biggest financial player in American sports, but The
>> Masters is by a country mile the most prestigeous. CBS and Augusta National
>> Golf Club have run on a year-to-year contract since 1956, allowing ANGC to
>> have a level of control on the broadcast that the NFL *wishes* it has.
>>
>> If the world is at a point in November when both of these events can
>> happen, what the hell is CBS gonna do?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CABru7%2BeGbbp8ddLmjyA56PCoiBUqJKbhD8Ws%2Bdfzrbd_i4Tjsw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CABru7%2BeGbbp8ddLmjyA56PCoiBUqJKbhD8Ws%2Bdfzrbd_i4Tjsw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

John Edwards
"You can insure against the weather, but you can't insure against
incompetence, can you?" - Phil Tufnell