Yeah, I have to agree with the above post by Nicole.

Believe it or not, the fact that some people don't want this is an
argument for it, because it demonstrates that there is a difference
between simply "updating your status" (as others have suggested as an
alternative) and DMing all followers.

As for it being unpractical to unfollow them because you have so many
users, well, that's a cost of the approach to twitter that advocates
following a bunch of people to build up your own follower list (for
the record, there's nothing wrong with that approach, I'm just
saying).

James