Thanks for the clarification, Doug. I can totally understand the
trending topic abuse: I looked a trend the other day and was really
surprised at the amount of crap that came up in the search.

I think it's pretty important to enumerate the triggers used for
suspension. It doesn't need to be the exact algorithm (which could be
used to defeat your efforts) but rather something like what you said
above. Something that we all can point users to so they can say
"ahh... that's why." -- which I'm sure Louie is doing right now.
Anyone who's dealt with SPAM is aware of how frequently the rules
change: the point is that users need to be kept apprised of how they
are affected by these constant changes.

I'd also suggest that you fix the link on the bottom of the <http://
twitter.com/suspended> page. The one that explains how to contest the
suspension would be a good candidate (since that's the first thing a
real person who's been suspended wants to know.)

Maybe there's another link on the page that goes to a list of the
suspension triggers. You could periodically update that page to
reflect the current reasons for suspension.

-ch