Thanks Chad, that's what I was afraid of.  I wonder if you
know about this next question:

Twitter API docs say search is rate limited to something
more than REST which is 150 requests per hour, but for the
sake of argument let's say the search rate limit is actually
150 hits per hour ...

Since I have to do 15 consecutive searches to make sure I've
retrieved the last 1500 matching items, does this mean I can
only do 10 sets of 15 searches per hour = 150 request per
hour?

If so, this is only one set of searches every 6 minutes, and
it seems to me that on a trending topic there might be lots
more than 1500 new tweets every 6 minutes.

How can I get around this limit?

I'm not trying to hurt Twitter, but business applications that
require ALL tweets to be recorded cannot deal with these
types of limitations on a practical basis, and if Twitter doesn't
come up with a better way I can see this hindering its future
revenue streams from businesses like mine that want to build
on a solid and easy-to-use foundation.

So getting back to my question of "What do I do now" ...

Do I have to put my automated search code on a bunch of
separate servers so the IP's are spread around -- such that
none of them hit the limit of 150 searches per hour?

Seems to me that this is the only realistic way to insure
that I can always retrieve all the matching results I need
without hitting the API limits ... but if you or others have
a better suggestion please let me know, thanks.