I asked the same thing of Alex - waiting to hear back. This method is still
very useful for verifying users haven't changed their passwords since the
last time the script was run.  Also, in Alex's own words, OAuth isn't ready
for production yet, last I heard so probably shouldn't go that route either
(or is it?).
Jesse