I haven't done any comprehensive profiling of them.  (As well, my
particular presentation of the OAuth or Basic login options also may
confound the data.)

That said, the fact that any sub-population of Twitter users shows a
preference for Basic Auth is surprising.  I suggest that linking
another app to one's Twitter account is foreign and difficult for the
average person to understand.

The OAuth scare page presented by Twitter doesn't help.  It clearly
hasn't been split-tested and is poorly executed.  It is likely
responsible for a significant number of desertions.  Compare it, for
example, to the Facebook app auth page.  Twitter's DENY button is just
as big as the ALLOW button; Facebook offers "approve" and then a much
smaller "cancel" link.

Add in the current complexity and unreliability of Twitter OAuth, and,
at the very least, offering Basic Auth as an adjunct option seems to
make sense.