I agree. I also think it is very important to recognize Twitter made a strong move with such an open API. As a result, it is just as important to recognize, Twitter very well may not be where it is today were it not for third party apps.

I may go as far as to say the API should be a higher priority than the Twitter.com site.

I can say with zero doubt, I myself would not have learned to love Twitter were it not for tweetie on the iPhone. I know every single one of my friends can say the same, though it may be a different app and a different phone.

Stats from Twitter on this would be interesting. I bet majority use is Twitter.com . However, I bet majority use where there is real interaction is all third party apps.

Web user traffic is the casual login once a week user. Third party apps are what made Twitter I household name.

To me, the API should be equal or more a priority, especially since a down API gets the third party app blamed, not Twitter.
--
Scott
Iphone says hello.