> As soon as you do that, the naughties will set up their software to do just
> that, -1, to keep them just under the limit.

That would be fine since anything under the limit is, by definition,
not "naughty".

A fundamental principal of well ordered societies is having
transparent rules.  Imagine the US Code (law) was not published and
citizens didn't know what specifically was legal and illegal.  What
kind of society would we be living in?  Communist USSR?  Iran?  North
Korea?

Lots of community members and developers are leaving Twitter because
of what appears to them to be arbitrary suspension of accounts they've
invested considerable time and good citizenship developing only to
have them removed without notice and oppty to remedy.