And if followed by an obvious spammer should we not block them and then let Twitter make it clear to other users how many times they've blocked. A few black marks against a spammer and they won't get followed back anymore.

This is like the feedback rating in ebay it encourages you to behave yourself.

I agree with Kevin, this should be a human solution.

I feel that a policy of banning people who Twitter thinks are spammers because of a metric rather than users who have my realistic reasons is a dangerous precendence and just causes grief and anguish. Let people self police in the first instance and then correct the exception circumstances. But hey it's your show ;-) just trying to give constructive feedback.

Seriously I can understand the temptation to automate but this is a slippery slope indeed.

ATB
Neil