It sounds as if your Twitter account has been suspended. That is not
the same as having your application shut down. A shut-down app means
you cannot access the API at all, i.e., all your API calls are denied
with connection refused.

Can you still access the API from your app and publish tweets on other
Twitter accounts?

If it's only your Twitter account that has been suspended, then that
was done because you must have violated the Twitter Rules on that
particular account, and will probably have nothing to do with API
access from your app.

Dewald