Here's the example:

1. You download my desktop Twitter client.
2. You install it and authorize it to your Twitter account.
3. -Without your consent or knowledge-, my Twitter client sends me
your screen name.

That's unethical.  If you don't think so, go ahead and code that into
your client and watch your users freak out when they find out that
you've been collecting their personal information without your
consent.