I agree with your disagreement. The other day I was playing with a service that made a background. When I clicked done, I thought it would prompt me to save the image and I would be on my own to upload it into my account.

That is not what happened. It auto replaced my background. I also did not have a backup of my original background, and now had a background I thought I was only testing, in live use. It also had a ridiculously large logo in the upper left corner.

This took me by surprise, I was not aware until then that the API allowed this. It makes sense now, but the developer should warn users. That was a destructive change.

If you want to say "welcome @user" I would go for it. I may be inclined to limit that to public accounts. If the account is blocked then they desire privacy. Holding an @username is holding something that is public outside the API.

Search google for site:Twitter.com and they have a database of all @usernames as well, and they certainly did not oauth those.

--
Scott
Iphone says hello.