> Here's the example:
>
> 1. You download my desktop Twitter client.
> 2. You install it and authorize it to your Twitter account.
> 3. -Without your consent or knowledge-, my Twitter client sends me
> your screen name.
>
> That's unethical.  If you don't think so, go ahead and code that into
> your client and watch your users freak out when they find out that
> you've been collecting their personal information without your
> consent.

Quite. Whether or not it seems "logical," it's all about user perception,
and most of them are not going to like apps passing on any kind of data
without them opting into it. Even the version check in TTYtter is purely
opt-in, and that's strictly anonymous.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckai...@floodgap.com
-- "I ... I love you!" "Oh noo! I don't!" -- Awful movie, "Ranma 1/2" ---------