its up to the API client to send that extra data along -- its not in the tweet's textual content, if that is what you're asking. its metadata that is "attached" to the tweet.

so an opted-in user will have latLong data automatically attached to
her/his updates, taken from the browser/client W3c geolocation
capabilities or is it necessary to explicitly include them in the
message content?

Ben,

Currently we geocode your user.location data to get an idea of where
you are. That gets attached to each tweet as it comes in, but its not
usually a representation of where you were when you actually sent the
tweet. The new functionality will allow you to geotag the actual
update without modifying the user.location field.

When it comes to search, we'll use both and give priority to the
tweet-level geotag.

Make sense?

Best, Ryan

Hi,
Please could you advise on the differences between this and the current location based searching facility? Is the current location search based on the users location in their settings whilst this is a exact location for
each tweet?
Thanks,
Ben