We mentioned in our early preview email about the retweet API
(http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-api-announce/browse_thread/thread/1e07e332ec3d449d)
that the statuses/friends_timeline resource wasn't going to include
retweets for backwards compatibility so we don't break clients that
aren't planning to add retweet support. The upgrade path is entirely
opt-in. To that end we're adding a statuses/home_timeline resource
that is in all ways identical to statuses/friends_timeline except the
home_timeline resource *will* include retweets as demonstrated in the
example payload in the documentation at
http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method%3A-statuses-home_timeline.

The statuses/home_timeline resource is now available though it won't
include any retweets until the retweeting feature is fully launched.
To be clear, until the full retweet launch, statuses/home_timeline
will be 100% identical to statuses/friends_timeline and will *not*
include retweets. We wanted to make the resource available early
though so that clients who will be incorporating retweets into their
timelines can update the resource that they reference and have
requests succeed. When the full retweet launch happens, retweets will
start to appear in statuses/home_timeline as per the documentation.

--
Marcel Molina
Twitter Platform Team