The current friends_timeline and home_timeline both include mentions
already. The friends_timeline will continue to not include retweets
since the payload for a retweeted status is slightly different. At
some future time, though, the friends_timeline will be removed in
favor of the home_timeline, which will include retweets. Having both
parallel timelines, with one that does not include retweets is just a
stop gap measure to ease the upgrade path.

--
Marcel Molina
Twitter Platform Team