Right, and I see where Twitter's coming from. I'm speaking more to API consumers that wish to persist the API/Geocode data on their own systems.
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:19, Raffi Krikorian <[email protected]> wrote: > its not a matter of caching the tweets, per se - its a matter of storing > extremely sensitive information for the long haul. we intend to provide this > information on a long-lived-basis at some point, but until we have better > privacy mechanisms in place, we are not going to be storing this information > at all after the hard expiration date. > > I assume you're caching the tweets in a local DB or something in order to > provide histories of > 3200 tweets. For now, can't you also just cache the > geocode info? > > On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:11, jim.renkel <[email protected]> wrote: > >> >> As an alternative to a hard coded 7 days for the interval to the >> removal of geocoding information from a tweet, I suggest that an >> optional "expires" parameter be added to the statuses/update method. >> The value of this parameter would give the number of days between the >> tweet creation and when the geocoding would be removed from the tweet. >> >> The default value of the parameter, i.e., the value used if the >> parameter is not present in a statuses/update request, would be 7, in >> conformance with current policy. >> >> An explicit value of 0 would indicate that the geocoding information >> is never to be removed (But see below.). >> >> You may also want to consider a new method that removes the geocoding >> information from an existing tweet, even if the interval was specified >> as 0. Obviously, irreversible, like deleting a tweet, and could only >> be done by the creator of the tweet, like the statuses/destroy method. >> >> Comments expected and welcome. >> >> Jim Renkel >> >> On Sep 29, 12:42 pm, Raffi Krikorian <[email protected]> wrote: >> > > I just noticed this in the API wiki, under the statuses/update method: >> > >> > > "Currently, all geolocated information will be removed after seven >> > > days." >> > >> > > Two questions: >> > >> > > 1. What exactly will be removed: the geocoding attached to the tweet? >> > > Or the whole tweet? >> > >> > the geocoding attached to the tweet. >> > >> > > 2. Why? I.e., why remove the geocoding or the whole tweet? I can think >> > > of many use cases where it is important for the geocoding to remain as >> > > long as the tweet remains. For example, I take a great vacation >> > > picture, upload it to Twitpic, then tweet about it, including where I >> > > took it. The location where I took the picture remains the same >> > > forever. Why delete the geocoding information from the tweet, or the >> > > whole tweet. This will just cause folk to put the geocoding >> > > information in the text of the tweet, taking up valuable space and >> > > reducing the value of geocoding tweets, and cause developers (Like me, >> > > admittedly) to develop applications that put the geocoding in the text >> > > of the tweet. With applications like that available, twitter users are >> > > less likely to go to the botther of opting-in to twitter geocoding of >> > > their tweets. >> > >> > this is being done for privacy issues, and in the future data will be >> > kept for longer once more sophisticated privacy controls are put into >> > place. >> > > -- > Raffi Krikorian > Twitter Platform Team > [email protected] | @raffi > > > > > -- Internets. Serious business.
