Raffi,

Would you mind engaging me on this part of my email:

I really don't understand Twitter's current strategy toward mobile and
> desktop apps. Are you guys actually _trying_ to say to developers: "don't
> build new mobile/desktop apps because you won't be able to compete with
> existing ones?"

> What I mean by that is this: Existing desktop and mobile apps do _not_ have
> to use oAuth _and_ get to keep their source parameter. The source parameter
> is probably the best means of organic marketing a Twitter app could have.
> OTOH, since these apps aren't using oAuth they don't have to worry about
> giving their apps a UX handicap (try setting up multiple Twitter accounts in
> a mobile/desktop app with oAuth, or using picture upload services and
> delegating your token... there are problems that haven't been solved yet.)

> Even though oAuth is not ready for mobile/desktop, Twitter is penalizing
> mobile/desktop applications that don't use it for UX reasons by not letting
> them take advantage of the organic marketing provided by the source
> parameter.

> I find this hugely unfair.

I would really love to have a comment on from you guys for the blog post I'm
writing: is Twitter actively discouraging the creation of new mobile and
desktop apps?

Personally, I am _not_ going to implement oAuth in my mobile app. This is
not because I lack the skills to do so or an understanding of exactly how
oAuth works and what it brings to the table. It's because I will not
sacrifice the UX of my iPhone application by sending people to a barely
legible, unusable, and not-optimized-for-iPhone oAuth page on Twitter.com as
part of their flow (the other objections I listed – which are harder to
tackle than making a mobile-friendly version of the oAuth page, which I
cannot believe Twitter still hasn't done – do not apply to my application.)

Sending a user to Twitter's oAuth page after having slaved over every pixel
in your iPhone app is like giving someone a ride in a Ferrari and then
throwing them in a mud puddle before pulling them back in for the remainder
of their ride.

I _really_ hope you can reconsider this as I see no logic whatsoever behind
this policy.

Regardless, my app goes to Apple tomorrow; source parameter or no.

All the best,
Aral