Aral,

Not sure how in-depth you've been following developments and
announcements of the Twitter API, but come this June you will have no
choice but to put ScotchGuard on your Ferrari's seats. In other words,
come June timeframe, usage of OAuth will become mandatory and Basic
Auth will be deprecated.

I'm sure Twitter is working on a more seamless mobile experience for
their OAuth implementation. A lot of folks have already thrown their
penalty flags onto the playing field over that issue.

Dewald