Quoting John Kalucki <j...@twitter.com>:

We've been pushing scale, operational and
efficiency branches recently, and haven't exposed anything user-facing in
quite some time. If we can't keep well ahead of the organic tweet growth,
we're in a tough spot.

At 50 million tweets a day, and an average tweet size (JSON, measured from "sample") of about 1400 bytes, you're gaining about 70 GB of "stuff" a day without *any* "geometric" growth by my calculations. And if I read Kevin Weil's blog post correctly, that 50 million tweets a day is *after* spam removal!

BTW, "sample" is delivering about 90,000 tweets per hour at the peak part of the day now. This mathematician hasn't had his coffee yet for 24 February 2010, so there are no theorems - just a simple "wow!" or perhaps "OMG!" ;-)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdos