This technique works for updating any filter predicate. The count parameter
should work on a shadow account. It won't work on a default access account.
We have a number of very large integrations using this technique with
Birddog access -- it should scale down to Shadow access just fine.

The documentation makes it clear which cases are supported and which ones
are not: http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Streaming-API-Documentation#count

The count parameter isn't supported on track streams for computational
complexity reasons, and it isn't supported on the default access role for
policy reasons.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.